It's been more then 2 weeks since I first posted this but it's finally posted. Vald will be posting his so watch for his on Vlad's Dog's column. For me it was a typical watercolor painting project. I believe I use 140lb hot press Aches watercolor paper. The brushes I use were 38 round to wet the back ground. 8 for splashing and laying in color and 2 for detail. All Golden Fleece brushes my favorite! Color hum.....? I can tell you some of the colors I used for sure but some will be a rough guess because I work from 6 different pallets. To the average person my pallets probably look like a big mud mess but thats the way I work. I for sure used Cobalt Blue, Colbat Violet, Permanent Sap Green, Green Gold, Olive Green, Perlene Green, Burnt Umber. I think I use Cad Yellow and some Davy's Grey and god knows what else. All paint is Winsor & Newton Artist Watercolor. The only thing I actually sketched out is the flowers the rest was created by splashing paint on wet paper and moving it around with a brush. I first used masking fluid which is like a rubber cement type liquid I put on the parts of the paper I want to keep white. After it dries you can paint over it and around it without ruining the white parts. After the paint dries you lift the masking fluid off. I used masking fluid for the whitish dots you see also. I used a Cobalt Blue wash to darken the the floor of the flower bed where no sunlight goes. This is achieved by diluting the paint way down and using a really wet brush to apply paint over the top of the dried green paints. I probably used a wash brush for that, which looks like a brush you'd use to paint trim on a house. I left the top of the painting as is so it looks like the light is hitting it. The Lilies I used Cobalt blue and Violet to shade. The entire painting took me 2 days probably 2-4 hours total.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment