Vlad's Dog and Moll's Mum have teamed up to do a painting project. We are both doing a painting of this photo of the white lilies 8X10 in size with two weeks to finish after I post this. We will then come back and post our work and tell about how we went about creating our paintings. We hope to get lots of ideas and comments. This will be so neat to see our different style and how 2 people see the same photo completely different. Our hope is to get others to want to join us in doing a painting project. Even if you don't paint you can get the basic's start and learn as we go. I'm so excited about this and can't wait to see Vlad's painting!
It's been more then 2 weeks since I first posted this but it's finally posted. Vald will be posting his so watch for his on Vlad's Dog's column. For me it was a typical watercolor painting project. I believe I use 140lb hot press Aches watercolor paper. The brushes I use were 38 round to wet the back ground. 8 for splashing and laying in color and 2 for detail. All Golden Fleece brushes my favorite! Color hum.....? I can tell you some of the colors I used for sure but some will be a rough guess because I work from 6 different pallets. To the average person my pallets probably look like a big mud mess but thats the way I work. I for sure used Cobalt Blue, Colbat Violet, Permanent Sap Green, Green Gold, Olive Green, Perlene Green, Burnt Umber. I think I use Cad Yellow and some Davy's Grey and god knows what else. All paint is Winsor & Newton Artist Watercolor. The only thing I actually sketched out is the flowers the rest was created by splashing paint on wet paper and moving it around with a brush. I first used masking fluid which is like a rubber cement type liquid I put on the parts of the paper I want to keep white. After it dries you can paint over it and around it without ruining the white parts. After the paint dries you lift the masking fluid off. I used masking fluid for the whitish dots you see also. I used a Cobalt Blue wash to darken the the floor of the flower bed where no sunlight goes. This is achieved by diluting the paint way down and using a really wet brush to apply paint over the top of the dried green paints. I probably used a wash brush for that, which looks like a brush you'd use to paint trim on a house. I left the top of the painting as is so it looks like the light is hitting it. The Lilies I used Cobalt blue and Violet to shade. The entire painting took me 2 days probably 2-4 hours total.